Monday, March 18, 2013

Shower Talk: Ways to Save Your Ideas From the Drain

By Stacy S. Jensen


Story ideas often arrive in the shower. How do you save them?

I never realized how important the shower is for writing until I became a mother.  As a mom, it's the one place I'm guaranteed to be alone. 

Sure, I had ideas in the shower before my kiddo arrived in my life. Then and now, I hear many writers struggle with how to capture those ideas.

For a more traditional note taking experience in the shower, there are a number of waterproof notebooks and notepads on the market for $10 or less to save your ideas.

Writers can take a tip from scuba divers and use a "scuba slate" to write notes in the shower. I've found some for under $6.

When I became a parent, I discovered bath time markers and crayons. It may not be a sophisticated way to save ideas, but it would "hold that thought" until you can type it up.

While it's a neat idea to jot down a note on the shower door, I'm not excited about cleanup. So, I do a hybrid method of a non-waterproof notepad outside the shower or an iPhone. I’ll admit I do a lot of “repeating” to myself before I can write it down.  

Ideas aren't exclusive to showers. I've heard many writers share how they hash out story details on morning runs, over a cup of coffee, or on a walk. As writers, it's fun to be alone with ideas and flesh them out.

How do you take notes from those “shower moments” or when you're out and about?


About the Author: Stacy S.Jensen worked as a newspaper reporter and editor for two decades. Today, she writes picture books and revises a memoir manuscript. She lives in Colorado Springs with her husband and toddler.